At St. Joseph’s we value the importance of being fit and healthy as part of mission statement to AIM HIGH. Children take part in weekly PE sessions led by Mr S Evans, a specialist sports coach. These sessions cover a range of sports, game and gymnastics. We offer a broad range of after school clubs which deliver a variety of sporting activities across the school year. We take part in a selection of sports festivals, skill-based days and competitions which offer the children the chance to work alongside other children from a variety of schools. Swimming is included in Year 5 where children go along weekly to Gateshead Leisure Centre to take part in an hours swimming lesson.
Children must dress in school PE kit for school PE lessons and after school clubs.
The school PE kit is black shorts and a white t-shirt. Hair should always be tied back for PE lessons and jewellery must not be worn. Black plimsolls should be worn when taking part in sports in the school hall.
Fitter For Life
At St Joseph’s we AIM HIGH in all that we do. In order to aim high and stay Fitter for Life, we are launching a new incentive programme to encourage all children to be more active at home, as well as at school.
Each week your child will be given a Fitter for Life task card. Their challenge is to complete 6 extra fitness activities throughout the week, 3 at home and 3 at school. The activities must then be recorded and signed for by an adult
Once their card is complete, they will then be entered into a draw to win some incredible prizes, such as:
- Tickets to sporting events (Newcastle United, Gateshead Football, Newcastle Eagles etc.);
- Clip & Climb tickets;
- Ice Skating tickets;
- Bowling tickets;
- Trampoline park tickets;
- Sport shop vouchers.
Our aim is to encourage children to want to be more active and experience new fitness activities.
- Cards will be collected in and given out on a
- Children must complete 3 physical activities at home and 3 activities at school.
- All activities must be signed for by an adult.
- To enter the draw, you must hand in the card on a Monday morning.
- You areallowed to complete the same activity more than once within a week.
- School PE and swimming sessions are not includedand cannot be written on your card.
- Prizes will be drawn on the last Friday of each half term by Mr Hattam during our Friday Whole School Collective Worship.
- The more completed cards you have, the more chances you have to win