We have really enjoyed using the dough in our classroom. Not only is it lots of fun to play with, the movement we make with our hands to change it into different shapes strengthens up our fingers too! Strong fingers are really important when it comes to writing. They ensure we can hold our pencil firmly, press down on the page and write letters with control.
Here we are having fun with dough at school.
Dough is really easy to make at home. Here is a recipe to try.
1 cup plain flour
1 tbsp. oil
1 cup water
½ cup salt
2 tbsp. cream of tartar
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a microwaveable bowl.
- Place in the microwave on high for 5 minutes and then stir.
- Repeat step 2 until the mixture is no longer sticky. At this point the dough will be very hot so please take care when handling it.
- Let the dough cool completely before children handle it.
- Store the dough in a plastic container with a lid.
Please try this at home and let us know how you got on! We like to use a variety of cutters with our dough, but also candles, cake decorations and collage materials too!